- JNRC Gift Appeal 2016
Dear friends of the Joel Nafuma Refugee Center,
Our center plays an integral role in providing a range of services to refugees in Rome, and we rely very much on your support. You may have participated in the Christmas Gift Appeal in the past, this season we need your support now more than ever. In the midst of a global refugee crisis, this year’s appeal is a concrete way that your family, faith community, school, or organization can be part of a local response and solution!
A season for giving
Our gift appeal is based on something that has been very popular in churches and schools around the globe for many years – providing gifts for people in need during a season of giving. It doesn’t cost a lot of money, it is fun to do, and you can start straight away. Furthermore, it encourages all who participate to reflect upon the gifts we have and what it means to be poor and alone, at a time when so many people are enjoying festivities with families and friends.
What are we asking you to do?
We are asking businesses, church communities, families, organizations, classrooms and entire schools to make up gift bags for refugees and the poor in Rome. This is something everyone can do –old or young. As in the past, all gifts will be organized into special gift bags to make them more equal so it is very important to please leave them open and not decorated. Any messages of encouragement and solidarity from donors will go into the gift bags.
Who will receive the bags?
The gift bags will be given to refugees who come to the JNRC at the annual Christmas party on December 23. Extra bags and gifts will be distributed to JNRC guests from the supply room in the months to come. The vast majority of the JNRC beneficiaries are men.
How it works
- Start by having fun choosing from our list of gift ideas. Most gifts can simply be added to your trolley in the supermarket…
- Be selective – you don’t need to include everything listed to make a wonderful contribution.
- All items should be new, there should be at least one item from each list: Clothing, Hygiene and Miscellaneous.
- Feel free to be creative, but please don’t include expensive or large items. In this case small is beautiful. A big number of small items can help many more people than a few large costly ones. Woolly hats, gloves, socks, scarves and boxers are ok. Larger items of clothing do not fit into the gift bags and can be donated at any time to the JNRC. (If you’re interested in organizing a special clothing drive for the center, please be in touch with us! See below)
Clothing (Men’s*): Gloves; hats; scarves; socks
*The guests of the JNRC are men and male minors.
Hygiene: Combs, lip salve, razor, small bars of soap, tissues, travel size bottles of shampoo, toothbrushes, travel size toothpaste
Miscellaneous: Chewing gum, candy or chocolate bars, small notebooks, pens, playing cards
Gifts may be dropped off at St. Paul’s within the Walls Episcopal Church, the site of the JNRC:
- Each weekday between the hours of 09.00 and 15:30 at the office, Via Napoli 58 (ring office);
- Each Sunday in the back of church before the start of the 10:30 AM service;
- Saturday, December 10th at the JNRC’s Holiday Market, from 10:00 to 17:00; or
- To make special arrangements for drop-off, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for donations to be included in this Christmas gift project is:
Friday, December 16th, 2016
This annual gift appeal is organized with the support of the Churches Together in Rome.